Print Recipe (PDF 106 KB)
Author: Josh Latham
Portion: About 1.5 cups
Num Portions: About 6-8
Prep time: 00:30 mins
Cook time: 09:30 mins
- 22 oz Freedom From Want (substitutions: Berliner Weisse, Saison, Belgian Style Pale Ale)
- 6 each Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 each Pineapple
- 1 each Large Red Bell Pepper
- 1 each Poblano Pepper
- 1/2 each Red Onion
- 1 lb Blanched Sugar Snap Peas
- 1/2 each Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 7 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Sushi Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean Red Pepper Paste) or Siracha
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flake
- 1 cup Rice (whatever kind you have on hand will work)
- Dice the chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onion.
- Put all ingredients except for the rice and snap peas in the crock pot, cover, set to low and go to work!! Or, just sit around watch a few football games and relax for 8 hours or so. It will appear that there isn’t much liquid in the pot, but as the vegetables cook they will release their liquid to the mix.
- When you return from work add the rice and continue cooking for about an hour.
- Finish by adding in the snap peas and cooking for about 5 minutes longer.
- Give it one final toss, and enjoy!!
The Crock Pot seems to be an underappreciated kitchen appliance; perhaps it is because it is such an easy way to go that we look at it as cheating in some way. But when you know that you have a long day coming up, and really aren’t going to want to cook anything when you get back, it can be a great way to make a long day a little easier. With that said we offer this recipe for those days when there are just too many things going on to spend a lot of time worrying about dinner.