This week we prepare for the 4 p.m. Pats vs Chargers game. We’ve got quite the spread planned for today:
- Vegetarian Nachos -
- Blue corn tortilla chips (they tend to be thicker than regular tortilla chips and hold up to the pile o’ chip we like)
- One can of fat free refried beans
- Ideally fresh or canned hot peppers – we like a medley of jalepeno, red cherry and habanero peppers. Flavor, color and heat!
- Canned mexican corn or black beans for texture and accent. (be sure to drain for 30 mins to ensure the chips come out crispier)
- Preparred shredded cheese is convenient and tasty, diehards can shred their favorite cheeses. We like a three cheese blend.
Warm the refried beans so they spread easier. Layer the chips on an oven safe platter with bits of refried beans and jalepenos. Layer the top of the stack with the remaining hot peppers, corn and or black beans. Cover with cheese and bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Turkey Meatballs -
A simple favorite and healthier than beef. Combine turkey, raw egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Dried hot peppers is a nice addition here too. Make 1 inch balls and cook at 350° for 8 minutes. This helps them not become meatloaf in the slow cooker. Add to the slow cooker with your favorite bbq sauce. Bonus points for adding some White Birch to the sauce mix. We like Tavern Ale, Hooksett Ale or Hop Session Ale in our slow cooker.
- Debris Po-Boy courtesy of our Carolyn Cohen -
Get a nice chuck roast and using a pairing knife stuff about 20 cloves of garlic in to it. Sear it on all sides, place in the slow cooker (we’re doing a slow cook for 8 hours) with 3 cups of beef broth and one cup of Birchwood Smoked Stout. When done, shred and serve on french bread. In New Orleans it is called a Debris Po-Boy. If you want it dressed it has lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and mayo or undressed is just plain. We’re having ours with lettuce, pickles and cackalacky.
We’re going to share a growler of Belgian Style Pale Ale. It’s a favorite of ours and is great with a wide range of foods. Hope you eat well and enjoy the games today!